Monday, January 19, 2009

There's Hope

This week is the beginning of a new era. Tomorrow the first African American will be sworn in as President of the United States of America. Something about this young man seems to pull people of many different cultures to him. He is the symbol of hope around the world. Even here in America, many people who did not vote for him are hopeful that he will be successful. People are not pulling for an African American president. People are pulling for America. Our success will spread good will, good fortune and prosperity around the world. This election wasn’t about Barack Obama. This was about our country as well as the rest of the world.
As a senior I have lived through World War II although I was too young to understand what was happening. I saw the struggles of African Americans during the Civil Rights movement; the increasing divorce rate; and the changing dynamics of the home front when women had to work rather than stay home to rear their children. Like so many other seniors, I’ve watched the economic downturn with some trepidation.
But I have great hope for a positive future for us. As seniors, we want to see an economic upturn sooner rather than later so that we may enjoy our senior years without fear.
As I watched television broadcasts of the inaugural festivities, I saw the faces of thousands and thousands of people looking with tears in their eyes at Barack Obama, the symbol of hope. I saw the unity that he has inspired. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, young, old, gay, straight, the able bodied and the physically challenged are all in this together. We will not wait for Barack Obama to make the change. He can’t do it alone. He has inspired us to help make the change for the better.
India Arie’s words ring true when she sings, “There’s Hope.” As I listen to this song, my tears show that I know that there’s hope for us all.

No comments: