Sunday, March 1, 2009

I Still Resolve to Get Organized

For me, getting organized is an on-going process. I made a good start about six weeks ago but got bored with the drudgery. I am making a renewed effort to complete the task.
I don’t want to leave my daughter with the monumental task of going through my “stuff” and having her hate me for all eternity. A few years ago, I read the story of a woman who spent almost a year going through her late mother’s belongings to find things of value and discarding the rest. After living in her house for over fifty years, the mother had accumulated a huge amount of stuff. It doesn’t take me that long to accumulate a lot.
I am shredding outdated paperwork, any documents that are no longer needed and
catalog labels (from inside and outside to prevent scam artists from using this information to charge items on my account).
I’ve discontinued some of my magazine subscriptions because even as a retiree, I don’t have time to read them all. I put the newspapers and magazines that I’ve finished reading in recycling along with flyers, business and personal envelopes (with the address labels removed).
When bills come, I write the checks immediately. If I can’t mail the bills right away, I put the mail-by date in the upper right hand corner of the envelope instead of a stamp. I put the envelope in the outgoing basket. On the given date, I cover the date with the stamp and mail the envelope. That is just some of the paperwork I must deal with everyday.
Cleaning out my closets is the next task. I wish me good luck.

No comments: